An easy recipe for Gluten Free Banana Muffins that are satisfyingly dense and rich, with just a bit of fluffiness and delicious medium sweet banana flavor.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons very ripe, mashed bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon golden ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins) or egg of your choice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups + 2 tablespoons gluten free oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup walnuts, chopped or nut-free add-ins (seeds, chocolate chips, chopped dried fruit)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners. Set aside.
- Peel bananas and add to a large mixing bowl. Using a sturdy fork or pastry cutter (recommended), mash bananas until smooth. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, flax egg and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients: oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Using a large scoop, scoop and drop batter evenly into prepared muffin cups—filling each cup all the way to the top for a smaller quantity of big, round-topped muffins, and ¾ of the way for a larger quantity of smaller muffins. If needed, smooth batter into an even layer.
- Bake for 22-30 minutes. Mine took 25 minutes for the smaller quantity of big, round-topped muffins. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness—once it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Place muffin pan on a cooling rack to cool for 30 minutes. Gently remove muffins from pan and transfer directly onto cooling rack to finish cooling, about 1 hour. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
More Gluten Free Banana Bread & Muffins Recipes
Storing Instructions: Store in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. Best on the first 2 days.
Recommended Tools & Ingredients
- Muffin Batter Scoop: this large scoop is actually an incredible ice cream scoop–but I discovered awhile ago that a heaping scoop of this is the perfect amount of batter for a full muffin cup. It’s so much easier to handle the muffin batter with this tool than anything else–a spoon, a smaller scoop, funnel, etc.
- Pastry Cutter: my favorite way aka “easy and not aggravating” way to mash bananas. This tool mashes the bananas very evenly and keeps the mess down to a minimum (I’m looking at you, bananas!).
- Golden Ground Flaxseed: so finely ground and of such a high-quality that I’m astounded. Ages ago, my favorite golden ground flaxseed brand stopped making their stuff. 🙁 I was on the hunt for a ground flaxseed that I could actually stand behind that compared to that long-ago flaxseed. This is it.
- Unbleached Muffin Liners or Nonstick Parchment Muffin Liners: I love both of these and swap which ones I use from time to time. The unbleached ones are compostable and stick just-enough to the muffins while the nonstick ones will literally fall off after cooling (perfect for those who hate liners that stick!).
Freezing Instructions: Store in a freezer-friendly container in the freezer for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes, or heat in the microwave in 10-second increments until just warm.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free banana muffins