Gluten Free Vegan Blueberry Applesauce Muffins (V, GF): a one bowl recipe for soft, satisfying blueberry muffins made with oat flour and applesauce. Vegan, Gluten Free, Whole Grain, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free.
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup gluten free oat flour
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
Optional for topping
- 2 tablespoons blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients: applesauce, coconut oil, coconut sugar, flax egg, and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop and drop batter evenly into muffin cups.* Smooth batter into an even layer, with a domed top (rise) in the center. Optional: press blueberries gently into the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for 16-22 minutes. Mine took 19 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center of one muffin to check for doneness. It will come out clean when the muffins are ready. Allow to cool on a cooling rack for about 1 hour. Lift out and enjoy! Storing instructions below.
– Adapted from my Double Chocolate Banana Muffins and my One Bowl Gluten Free Vegan Banana Nut Bread.
– Storage notes: Muffins are best if eaten within the first 2 days. After the 1st or 2nd day, these muffins MUST be stored in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
-*Using a large cookie scoop definitely helps to create beautiful domed tops.
– Do not heat in the microwave: this will make the muffins too moist.
– More muffins + quick bread recipes: chocolate chip pumpkin muffins, gluten free banana oat muffins, one bowl pumpkin bread.
- Category: Muffins, Breakfast, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free, Whole Grain