Paleo Chocolate Muffins: moist Gluten Free chocolate muffins with almond flour, tons of chocolate & crispy tops! GF, Easy, Grain-Free, Vegan, Healthy ingredients.
- 2 ½ cups finely ground, blanched almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour
- ¾ cup raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: almond flour, arrowroot flour, raw cacao, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Add water and milk to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until just warm. This will prevent the melted coconut oil from solidifying once mixed with these liquids.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: water, milk, coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Batter will be thick and liquidy—thick enough to be a bit stiff and easily scooped, but still liquidy enough to settle. Fold in chopped paleo chocolate chunks.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop and drop batter evenly into prepared muffin pan—filling each cup about 3/4 of the way for a greater quantity of medium dome-topped muffins, or all the way for a lower quantity of high dome-topped muffins. Makes 9 large muffins, or 12 medium muffins.
- Bake for 19-25 minutes. Mine took 23 minutes for 9 high, dome-topped muffins. Insert a toothpick to test for doneness—it should come out mostly dry, with a few muffin bits on it.*
- Place muffin pan on a cooling rack to cool for 30 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and continue cooling on rack until completely cool. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
Paleo Vegan Chocolate Recipes
- Where to Buy Ingredients: Coconut Sugar | Arrowroot Flour | Paleo Chocolate Chunks or Vegan Chocolate Chips (if not paleo) | Pure Maple Syrup | Coconut Oil | Pure Vanilla Extract | Almond Flour | Raw Cacao Powder
- *Smaller muffins will take a shorter amount of time to bake–closer to 19 minutes.
- Storing Notes: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: Store muffins in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 15-40 minutes before enjoying.
- Recommended Tools: Stainless Steel Sifter | Large Ice Cream Scoop (for scooping muffin batter) | Parchment Muffin Liners | 12-Muffin Pan | Glass Mixing Bowls | Muffin Carrier
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert, Snacks
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American