Paleo Chocolate Orange Muffins (GF): fluffy & moist gluten free chocolate muffins with bright, vibrant orange flavor combined with deep, dark chocolate YUM. The crumb is a perfectly moist sponge that’s fluffy and satisfying. These grain free almond flour paleo muffins bake up nice and high, with a crispy top just like your favorite classic chocolate muffins! Grain-Free, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Almond Flour, Dairy-Free.
Have you ever tried chocolate-covered oranges slices? Or those orange chocolate ball thingies that need to be smashed in order to eat? (Dang it, what are they called?)
If you’ve ever had either of those things, or quite simply dipped your favorite orange cream 50/50 bars in chocolate because it seemed like a good idea (uh, YEAH), or just dreamed about oranges dancing in chocolate rivers (because that’s totally normal), you’ll love today’s recipe!
And, like, who hasn’t dreamed of various yummy foods (I see you, Ultimate Fudgy Paleo Vegan Brownies!) dancing in rivers of perfectly melted, velvety smooth chocolate? *nom nom nom
Today, we’re kicking holiday-inspired desserts into high gear with chocolate + orange infused paleo chocolate muffins!!
Paleo Chocolate Orange Muffins: Gluten Free, Grain Free, Vegan
I get this question all the time. Wait a minute, I didn’t actually pose a question, did I? Too busy thinking about melty chocolate rivers. ‘Xcuse me. 😉 Just, before you ask, let me say, yes, these orange paleo chocolate muffins qualify as:
- your new favorite Grain Free chocolate muffins
- The best almond flour chocolate muffins ever (no bias, of course)
- The easiest borderline-dark-chocolate and orange muffins recipe
- The moistest gluten free chocolate muffins that are easy, vegan + dairy-free!
Paleo Chocolate Muffins with an Orange Twist!
There’s something about this season that calls for all the chocolate-covered orange slices, orange chocolate ice cream, and… wait for it, orange chocolate muffins! Today, we’re making classic paleo chocolate muffins with an orange twist—to help you get that holiday chocolate orange fix you’ve been craving.
Side note: Should we add these yummy orange vibes to my Vegan Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe with Coconut Flour? 🤤
The Taste: these orange paleo chocolate muffins taste just like those Terry’s Chocolate Orange smash candy novelties that you remember growing up. Bright, vibrant orange flavor combined with deep, dark chocolate YUM. The crumb is a perfectly moist sponge that’s fluffy and satisfying. These paleo muffins bake up nice and high, with a crispy top just like your favorite classic chocolate muffins!
And if you’re looking for a non-paleo vegan chocolate muffin, try my Easy Gluten Free Vegan Dark Chocolate Muffins.
Almond Meal vs Almond Flour: Easy Gluten Free Chocolate Muffins
This chocolate orange muffin recipe is made with almond flour, but you can totally swap the almond flour out for almond meal. Here are the key differences:
Almond Flour is finely ground & made from blanched almonds. See an example here: blanched almond flour. This means that the brown skin has been removed from the almonds before finely grinding them to make a flour. Thus, the flour is lighter and fluffier in texture, which makes for light, fluffy almond flour chocolate muffins.
Almond Meal tends to be coarser and heavier than almond flour. With the brown outer layer (skin) on, almonds are ground into an almond meal. Here’s an example of almond meal. Meal is typically, heavier and coarser than flour. You can swap the almond flour in these paleo chocolate muffins for almond meal, you’ll just get a slightly heavier, grainier muffin.
Best Tools for Gluten Free Paleo Chocolate Orange Muffins
Wondering what exact tools & ingredients I used to make these gluten free paleo chocolate orange muffins? Check them out below!
- Paleo Chocolate Gems: a brand-new paleo chocolate option! I’ve been loving using these in my paleo baking recipes. They melt beautifully, taste wonderful and are made from unrefined ingredients. Yes!! You can chop them up to use in place of chocolate chips in these muffins, or use them as-is for small, but sizeable, chocolate bombs in your muffins!
- Paleo Chocolate Bars: one of my favorite chocolate options to use in baking (or just for snacking 😉).
- Raw Cacao Powder: my favorite kind of raw cacao powder to use in order to keep these chocolate muffins paleo.
- Arrowroot Flour: this is a key ingredient to achieving a wonderful texture in these paleo chocolate muffins.
- Almond Flour: Paleo baking is really difficult–but, this beautifully, finely ground, blanched almond flour makes it so much better. It keeps my paleo baked goods light & fluffy, packed with nutrients and grain-free and paleo!
- Citrus Squeezer + Citrus Zester: these two tools have saved me (and Erik) from so many long, excruciating afternoons of hand-wringing/orange squeezing and zesting. I highly recommend!
- Muffin/Cupcake Holder: so useful and convenient for transporting two dozen muffins to a party or event. How cool is that?
- Paleo Vegan Gluten Free Pantry Basics: Pure Maple Syrup | Coconut Oil | Organic Arrowroot Flour, 2.5lbs | Coconut Sugar
So whaddya want to dip in the rich, dark, melty chocolate river next?!? I mean, we are totally dipping these orange paleo chocolate muffins in first, right? I can’t wait to hear what you think of your soon-to-be-favorite gluten free chocolate muffins!! Hint hint. 😉 Thank you for stopping by & enjoying a little silly kitchen time with me. ‘Til the next kitchen adventure…
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️
📌 Click below to Pin 📌
More Paleo Desserts & Gluten Free Chocolate Muffins
- Paleo: No Bake Paleo Chocolate Almond Butter Bars
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
- Paleo: 2 Ingredient 5 Minute Homemade Fudge (Paleo, Vegan)
- Best Vegan Gluten Free Moist Chocolate Muffins Recipe
- …and Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes, just for fun. 😉
Paleo Chocolate Orange Muffins (GF): fluffy & moist Gluten Free chocolate muffins with a burst of zesty orange flavor! This Grain Free almond flour chocolate muffins recipe is EASY, Vegan & Dairy-Free!
- 2 ½ cups finely ground, blanched almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour
- ¾ cup raw cacao (for paleo) or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons orange zest (about 1 large orange)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: almond flour, arrowroot flour, raw cacao, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Add orange juice and milk to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until just warm. This will prevent the melted coconut oil from solidifying once mixed with these liquids.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: orange juice, non-dairy milk, orange zest, coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Batter will be thick and liquidy—thick enough to be a bit stiff and easily scooped, but still liquidy enough to settle.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop and drop batter evenly into prepared muffin pan—filling each cup about 3/4 of the way for a greater quantity of medium dome-topped muffins, or all the way for a lower quantity of high dome-topped muffins. Makes 9 very large muffins, or 12 medium muffins.
- Bake for 19-25 minutes. Mine took 22 minutes for 9 high, dome-topped muffins. Insert a toothpick to test for doneness—it should come out mostly dry, with a few muffin bits on it.
- Place muffin pan on a cooling rack to cool for 30 minutes. Remove muffins from muffin pan and continue cooling on rack until completely cool, 45 mins-1 hour. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
Paleo Vegan Chocolate Recipes
- A note on Paleo Chocolate Gems: they melt beautifully, taste wonderful and are made from unrefined ingredients. Yes!! You can chop them up to use in place of chocolate chips in these muffins, or use them as-is for small, but sizeable, chocolate bombs in your muffins!
- Where to Buy Ingredients: Paleo Chocolate Gems or Paleo Chocolate Bars (to chop)| Blanched Almond Flour | Organic Arrowroot Flour | Raw Cacao Powder | Pure Maple Syrup | Coconut Oil | Coconut Sugar
- Storing Notes: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: Store muffins in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 15-40 minutes before enjoying.
- Recommended Tools: Stainless Steel Flour Sifter | Citrus Zester & Citrus Squeezer | Trigger Ice Cream Scoop – For Muffins | Muffin Holder | Parchment Cupcake Liners
- Category: Healthy Dessert, Snacks, Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate orange muffin recipe, almond four, gluten free chocolate muffins, paleo chocolate muffins
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images or recipe without my permission. Please do not republish this recipe, instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links, which allow me to make a small commission for my referral, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Beaming Baker.