Paleo Chocolate Orange Muffins (GF): fluffy & moist Gluten Free chocolate muffins with a burst of zesty orange flavor! This Grain Free almond flour chocolate muffins recipe is EASY, Vegan & Dairy-Free!
- 2 ½ cups finely ground, blanched almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour
- ¾ cup raw cacao (for paleo) or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons orange zest (about 1 large orange)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: almond flour, arrowroot flour, raw cacao, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Add orange juice and milk to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until just warm. This will prevent the melted coconut oil from solidifying once mixed with these liquids.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: orange juice, non-dairy milk, orange zest, coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Batter will be thick and liquidy—thick enough to be a bit stiff and easily scooped, but still liquidy enough to settle.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop and drop batter evenly into prepared muffin pan—filling each cup about 3/4 of the way for a greater quantity of medium dome-topped muffins, or all the way for a lower quantity of high dome-topped muffins. Makes 9 very large muffins, or 12 medium muffins.
- Bake for 19-25 minutes. Mine took 22 minutes for 9 high, dome-topped muffins. Insert a toothpick to test for doneness—it should come out mostly dry, with a few muffin bits on it.
- Place muffin pan on a cooling rack to cool for 30 minutes. Remove muffins from muffin pan and continue cooling on rack until completely cool, 45 mins-1 hour. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
Paleo Vegan Chocolate Recipes
- A note on Paleo Chocolate Gems: they melt beautifully, taste wonderful and are made from unrefined ingredients. Yes!! You can chop them up to use in place of chocolate chips in these muffins, or use them as-is for small, but sizeable, chocolate bombs in your muffins!
- Where to Buy Ingredients: Paleo Chocolate Gems or Paleo Chocolate Bars (to chop)| Blanched Almond Flour | Organic Arrowroot Flour | Raw Cacao Powder | Pure Maple Syrup | Coconut Oil | Coconut Sugar
- Storing Notes: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: Store muffins in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 15-40 minutes before enjoying.
- Recommended Tools: Stainless Steel Flour Sifter | Citrus Zester & Citrus Squeezer | Trigger Ice Cream Scoop – For Muffins | Muffin Holder | Parchment Cupcake Liners
- Category: Healthy Dessert, Snacks, Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate orange muffin recipe, almond four, gluten free chocolate muffins, paleo chocolate muffins