Deliciously moist pumpkin chocolate chip bars with a rich texture that’s halfway between a cake and pumpkin pie, featuring big pumpkin flavor, delicious fall spices, & melty chocolate chips! Fluffy like a cake, with the moist richness of pumpkin pie.
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour or oat flour, use gluten free oat flour if needed
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water) – make the flax egg first and set it aside so it can thicken for 10 mins or use egg of choice
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter, butter or more coconut oil
- ¾ cup 100% pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons mini vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper or greased foil.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in medium bowl: all purpose flour or oat flour, pumpkin pie spice, ground cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk together all wet ingredients in large bowl: flax eggs, melted coconut oil, melted vegan butter, pumpkin puree, coconut sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Scrape all dry ingredients into wet ingredients’ large bowl.
- Whisk to combine, taking stops in between to carefully tap the whisk on the side of your bowl to get clumps of flour out. Be careful not to overmix, only going until no flour patches remain. The batter will be very thick.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Smooth batter into an even layer—the batter will bake up very closely to how it looks raw. Optionally, press mini chocolate chips into the top of the bars.
- Bake for 33-37 minutes. Mine took 35 minutes. Bars are done when you can stick a toothpick into the thickest part of the bars, and it comes out clean.
- Set pan onto a cooling rack, allowing to cool for about 45 minutes. Then, pinch the parchment paper or foil and lift the bars out of the pan and onto the cooling rack. Cool for about 2 hours, then slice into bars. Enjoy!
Learn how to make oat flour here. Just make sure to sift the flour once it’s made, then measure for your recipe. Sifting ensures the removal of any coarse bits of oats that might ruin the fluffy texture of your recipe.
How to make Vegan: Use flax eggs, vegan butter or coconut oil, and vegan chocolate chips.
How to make Gluten Free: use gluten free oat flour instead of all purpose flour. Keep everything else the same.
Storage Notes: After cooling, store in an airtight container for up to 1 week at room temperature in a cool environment away from direct sunlight, or in the refrigerator.
Freezing Notes: Store slices in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American