Crispy, crunchy, nutty: the perfect trifecta of texture for the best vanilla almond granola, packed with nutty almonds and sweet vanilla.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a medium or large baking sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside for later.
- Add all the dry ingredients into a large bowl: almonds, oats, flaxseed, and salt. Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold until well mixed.
- Add all the wet ingredients to a small or medium bowl: coconut sugar, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and pure almond extract.
- Slice the vanilla bean pod down the center, lengthwise. Using a spoon, scrape the beans cleanly out of the pod and add to the wet ingredients mixing bowl. Save the exterior pod for another recipe.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients, including the vanilla bean pod, until well mixed. The wet mixture will resemble a kind of sandy molasses texture.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl, being sure to scrape the bowl dry.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold the wet and dry ingredients together until well mixed. Make sure to stir and fold until every bit of oat and almond are fully coated in the wet mixture.
- Pour mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Using a rubber spatula, press down and pack the granola mixture together to create an even, flat, and very tightly-packed layer, about ½ inch thick. Your granola may not cover the entire baking sheet. Now, nudge the sheet of granola apart in the center (dividing the tightly-packed layer in half), to let air through. Press together any loose bits as needed to keep the layers tightly packed.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Rotate baking sheet. Bake for 18-22 more minutes, until granola is a deep golden brown. Mine took 40 minutes total. Do not flip or move granola—it is fragile and needs to crisp up while cooling.
- Place baking sheet on a cooling rack. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes, or until completely cooled and firm. Break sheets of granola into clusters. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Snacks
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American