Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes (GF): fluffy ‘n moist healthy chocolate cupcakes with a soft crumb, topped with creamy, smooth chocolate frosting! The best GF oat flour cupcakes—Refined Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free!
- 1 batch Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)*
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder – not dutch processed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Prepare the frosting: The night before, begin preparing one batch of this Vegan Chocolate Frosting. Do not whip the frosting until the cupcakes are cooled and ready to be frosted.
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add water and milk to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until just warm. This will prevent the melted coconut oil from solidifying once mixed with these liquids.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: water, milk, coconut oil, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared muffin pan—filling each cup about 3/4 of the way. Bake for 16-20 minutes. Mine took 18 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick. The toothpick should come out with a few dry bits of cake on it, but no liquidy batter.
- Place muffin pan on a cooling rack to cool for 30 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin pan and continue cooling on rack until completely cool before frosting.
- Frost the cupcakes: Whip the frosting as instructed. Frost the cupcakes. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
If you prefer cake, try my 5-star Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe.
Delicious Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Desserts
- *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create grainy cupcakes.
- Storage notes: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Okay to keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, in a cool, dark environment.
- Freezing Instructions: Store frosted cupcakes in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 15-40 minutes before enjoying.
- Substitution Notes in post above.
- Category: Dessert, Cupcakes, Chocolate, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Baking
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan gluten free chocolate cupcakes, vegan cupcakes, healthy chocolate cupcakes recipe