Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins: soft & moist banana bread muffins with sky-high, crispy tops, melty chocolate chips & BIG banana flavor. Whole ingredients, Plant-Based.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons mashed, very ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon golden ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)*
- ¾ cup finely ground, blanched almond flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Add peeled bananas to a large mixing bowl. Using a dough blender, or sturdy whisk/fork, mash bananas until smooth. Add remaining wet ingredients: coconut oil, coconut sugar, flax egg, and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add all dry ingredients: oat flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Switch to folding with a rubber spatula to incorporate the last few bits. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts, if using.
- Using a muffin batter scoop**, scoop and drop batter evenly into muffin cups. Fill each cup all the way to the top for a lower quantity of big, round-topped muffins, and ¾ of the way for a higher quantity of smaller muffins. Optionally, press chocolate chips into the muffin tops.
- Bake for 16-26 minutes. Mine took 22 minutes for large, high-topped muffins. Place muffin pan onto a cooling rack for 30 minutes. Then, gently transfer muffins directly onto cooling rack for 1 hour to cool completely. Enjoy. Storing instructions below.
Healthy Muffins Recipes
- Where to Buy Ingredients: Coconut Sugar | Golden Ground Flaxseed | Blanched Almond Flour | Coconut Oil | Pure Vanilla Extract | Sugar Free Chocolate Chips or Vegan Chocolate Chips
- A Note on Homemade Oat Flour: *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to blend the flour until very fine and sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create less than ideal results. Store until needed, then measure the amount required for the recipe.
- **I like to use this muffin batter scoop (aka ice cream scoop) to scoop and drop one scoop of batter into each muffin liner. This scoop helps control the batter and prevent messes. Tip: after dropping scoops, lightly tap the pan to even out the batter.
- Storage Instructions: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: These muffins freeze well. Store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1-2 months. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes before enjoying. Or, heat in 10-second increments in the microwave until warm.
- Recommended Tools: Dough Blender | 4 Event Timer | Muffin Batter Scoop | Unbleached Muffin Liners or Nonstick Parchment Muffin Liners
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American