Bursting with bright lemon flavor and speckled with beautiful poppy seeds, you’ll love today’s mini lemon poppy seed muffins, made with optional lemon glaze.
- 2 ¼ cups oat flour (or learn how to make gluten free oat flour)
- ½ cup finely ground, blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon (2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons organic, unrefined confectioners’ sugar*
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (start with less, make sure it’s white and thick, not too translucent)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lay a 24-cup mini muffin silicone pan onto a small cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients except salt and poppy seeds: oat flour, almond flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk in salt and poppy seeds.
- Add water and milk to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until just warm. This will prevent the melted coconut oil from solidifying once mixed with these liquids.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: water, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain.
- Using a medium scoop, scoop and drop batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan—filling each cup all the way to the top. Bake for 16-20 minutes. Mine took 16 minutes. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness—once it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Place muffin pan + cookie sheet on a cooling rack to cool for 20 minutes. Then, gently lift silicone baking pan off of cookie sheet and place on cooling rack for 10 more mins. Pop out muffins and enjoy immediately, or cool completely for about 1 hour before storing.
- Optionally, in a small bowl, whisk together Optional Glaze ingredients until thickened: confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle muffins. Enjoy! Storing instructions below.
*You can also add more powdered sugar if you’d like a thicker glaze.
Storing Notes: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator, or in a cool, dark environment. Glaze when ready to eat, or day of.
To Freeze: Store in an airtight container, unglazed, in the freezer for 1-2 months. Allow to thaw for about 30 minutes at room temperature before enjoying. Or, heat in the microwave in 10-second increments until just warm.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Category: Snack, Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mini lemon poppy seed muffins, lemon poppy seed mini muffins