Vanilla Vegan Protein Shake Recipe: an easy, customizable & dairy free recipe for a delicious, creamy & filling vegan protein shake that’s packed with 22g of protein!
A Vegan Protein Shake That’s Dairy Free? Nice!
Looking for the best/easiest and tastiest way to incorporate a vegan protein shake into your daily diet? I’ve got just what you’re looking for! Today’s vegan protein shake recipe packs in a whopping 22 grams of protein and just so happens to be one of my favorite dairy free protein shakes! You ready to blend your way to protein-packed goodness? Let’s do it!
The Best Vanilla Vegan Protein Shake Recipe
But why is this the BEST vanilla vegan protein shake recipe ever? Because: it’s simple, easy to make, vegan, dairy-free, packed with tons of protein (22g), and made with very few ingredients. What could be better right?
Oh right. It actually tastes good! And it’s super, duper easy to customize. If you’re looking for all the deets on how to customize your vanilla vegan protein shake recipe, check it out further down in the post.
simple ingredients for the best vegan protein shake recipe
- Non Dairy Milk: go ahead and use your favorite non-dairy milk. I like using an unsweetened, vanilla almondmilk for my vegan protein shakes.
- Vanilla Vegan Protein Powder: here is the exact vanilla vegan protein powder that I use. I’ve tried 18 different kinds of vegan protein powder and this is the one I liked best. To read more about other vegan protein powders and tips on how to make the best vegan protein shake, check out this post: Best Vegan Protein Powder: Ranked.
- Not a fan of vanilla? Try using your favorite vegan protein powder, in any flavor, in place of the vanilla protein powder that I used.
- MCT Oil: an extra booster for my vegan protein shake. I learned about MCT oil when I tried the keto diet and it’s been a staple in my everyday diet ever since. It helps keep up your energy levels, keeps you full longer and helps you get in your healthy fat for the day.
- Ice Cubes: Keepin’ it icy and real! 😉
How to Make a Vegan Protein Shake
Once you find out how truly easy it is to make a vegan protein shake, you’re gonna be like, why would I ever need to buy one again??! Okay, fine, we gotta be real here, there’s always a time and a place where you can treat yourself to something store-bought. But in this case, we’re gonna make making a homemade dairy free protein shake so easy you won’t believe it.
Grab a blender
Seriously, grab your favorite blender. Here’s mine—it’s a bit noisy, but oh-so-powerful. 😉 If you don’t like your blender, it’s probably time to upgrade. I know when I’m avoiding mine that it just might be time for a change.
Add all the ingredients
Add all of the protein shake ingredients: dairy-free milk, vegan protein powder, ice cubes and another bit of dairy-free milk. I like to bookend the protein powder and ice cubes with milk so there aren’t any annoying dry clumps of protein powder stuck anywhere.
Add any supplements
Add anything you’d like to customize your protein shake: fruits, veggies, flavored extract for a tasty boost, MCT oil, vegan collagen or even nut butter. Don’t worry, I’ve added notes below and in the recipe card so you don’t end up with a chunky, oddly savory mess. (We’ve all been there.)
Blend, pour & enjoy
Now, blend away! Blend until everything is smooth and well incorporated. Pour your smoothie mixture into cups. Enjoy the best vegan protein shake recipe ever!
>>Related: Protein Oatmeal
How to Customize Your Vegan Protein Shake with Fruits & Veggies
One of my favorite things about this vanilla vegan protein shake recipe is that it’s so easily customizable. Every time I make this protein shake, I use a different combo of add-ins. Here are my favorite fruits & veggies to use:
Veggies: ½ cup frozen spinach. I like buying bags of fresh, pre-washed spinach, then just tossing the entire thing into my freezer. When it comes time to make the vegan protein shake, I toss in about ½ cup of frozen spinach and blend it right in.
Fruits: ½ cup of frozen fruit. One of my favorite things to add in my vegan protein shake? Frozen fruit! It doesn’t compromise the texture of the shake and it gives it an added flavor + nutrient boost. My favorites: blueberries, strawberries and peaches (for a lighter flavor).
Where do I find Vegan Protein Powder? Easy! I spent months and months taste testing vegan protein powder products from tons of companies. I tried 18 vegan protein powders in total here.
Vegan Shakes That Don’t Have Protein Powder in Them
Okay, so you’re loving the thought of a vegan protein shake, but don’t want to make them with added vegan protein powder. I feel you. There are times when I can’t stand seeing another scoop of that powder! For those days, I bring out the big guns (aka my favorite dairy free protein shakes without protein powder):
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (Vegan)
- Blueberry Spinach Shake
- Easy Berry Smoothie Recipe
- Chia Seed Smoothie Recipes – 3 Ways!
- 3 Ingredient Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe
- Coconut Chocolate Keto Shake (Low Carb, Vegan)
- Blueberry Smoothie – 3 Ingredients!
- Vegan Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Shake
- Strawberry Peach Shake
- Vegan Strawberry Peanut Butter Shake
Healthy Boosts for Vegan Protein Shake
If you’re like me, sometimes you need to pack of lot of nutrients & healthy ingredients into your vegan protein shake so you can relax the rest of the day (er, check off the healthy stuff). Here are my favorite healthy boosts for the best vegan protein shake ever:
- For Energy: ¼ teaspoon gelatinized maca powder. About a year ago, I removed caffeine from my diet. It was super friggin’ hard, but what I didn’t miss were the frequent migraines. However, what I did miss was the energy. So now I add about ¼ teaspoon of gelatinized maca into my morning tea and my post workout vegan protein shake. It’s incredible.
- For Extra Protein Boost: for an added protein boost, try adding 1-2 tablespoons of peanut flour to your vegan protein shake. Take it slow on this one because peanut flour can tend to be bitter/burnt tasting if you add too much at once. Otherwise, I love adding in 1-2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter or almond butter for that extra boost.
- For Healthy Fats: try the 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite nut butter, or don’t forget the 1 tablespoon of MCT Oil. It keeps you fuller longer, can improve brain function, and helps to boost energy.
- For Fun: try adding in 1 tablespoon of low-carb chocolate chips or refined sugar free chocolate. For a chocolate shake, try my 3 Ingredient Chocolate Vegan Protein Shake.
tools for the best vegan protein shake recipe
- My Favorite Vanilla Vegan Protein Powder: this is my personal fave, go-to brand of vegan protein powder for all of my vegan protein shakes. It’s creamy, just the right amount of sweet, and completely lacking in weird tastes/flavors. Whoop! It’s also low carb, no sugar and packed with a ton of protein.
- Ninja Auto IQ: Ever since I invested in this personal blender, it’s been the only blender I use to make my daily vegan protein shake. Get this–you can set it and forget it. As in: load up the blender with all of your shake ingredients, press the button and walk away. The blender is timed to perfectly blend, then stop, then blend until you get the smoothest smoothie. How cool is that?
- Extra Blender Cups: Let’s be real here, you always need extra blender cups. Like, we don’t all have time to do the dishes 3x a day, so these come in handy when I just need to make a quick vegan protein shake and the blender cup I used already is still dirty!
Dairy Free Protein Shake Recipes That’ll Rock Your World
- Peanut Butter Protein Shake – 4 ingredients!
- 3 Ingredient Chocolate Vegan Protein Shake Recipe
- Chocolate Banana Vegan Protein Shake Recipe
- My Review of the top 15 Vegan Protein Powders: Best Vegan Protein Powder RANKED.
- Strawberry Peanut Butter Protein Shake Recipe
- Mint Chocolate Protein Shake (High Protein)
- Banana Protein Shake – 4 ingredients!
- Strawberry Vegan Protein Shake Recipe
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Vegan Protein Shake (High Protein)
A Most Shareable Dairy Free Protein Shake Recipe
Tell me, how pumped are you to make your very own dairy free protein shake recipe? Once you get the hang of this base recipe, it’ll be so easy to customize it to your liking. For some pointers, scroll back up on flavor variations I’ve already created. 😉 In the meantime, be sure to comment below or visit me over on IG. I love hearing from you. ‘Til our next blended adventure…
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter ❤️
💜 📸 💜
Vanilla Vegan Protein Shake Recipe: an easy, customizable & dairy free recipe for a delicious, creamy & filling vegan protein shake that’s packed with 22g of protein! Made in just 5 minutes.
Vegan Protein Shake
- ¾ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (more below)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons vanilla vegan protein powder (or two scoops of the one that I use)
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil (optional)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
For the perfect combo of customizations to use, check out the recipe in my Best Vegan Protein Powder post.
- For Veggies: ½ cup frozen spinach
- For Energy: ¼ teaspoon gelatinized maca powder
- For Fruit: sub 1/2 cup ice cubes with ½-3/4 cup frozen fruit, such as strawberries, peaches or blueberries
- For Protein Boost: 2 tablespoons peanut powder
- For Healthy Fats: 2 tablespoons unsalted, natural creamy nut butter, or more MCT oil
- For Fun: 1 tablespoon paleo chocolate chunks
- This is the blender I use to make my smoothies. It’s easy to use, holds the perfect amount, and can be left to keep blending while I walk away (it runs by itself).
- Add all ingredients in the order listed: 3/4 cup non-dairy milk, vegan protein powder, MCT oil, ice cubes and 1/2 cup milk. This is the order that I’ve found to be smoothest, without any protein powder getting stuck in a clump anywhere.
- Depending on your daily nutritional needs, feel free to add maca powder, peanut powder, nut butter or more MCT oil.
- Close blender. Blend until smooth and no chunks remain. Enjoy immediately!
Not sure which vegan protein powder to use? Here’s a helpful guide to Vegan Protein Powder: Best Vegan Protein Powder Ranked.
More Vegan Snacks to Fuel You:
Nutrition Information: is an estimate based on the ingredients listed in Where to Buy Ingredients. Also, it’s estimated based on 1 serving per recipe, made without optional ingredients.
What’s my favorite vegan protein powder? My favorite thing to do is use 1 scoop of this chocolate protein powder and 1 scoop of this vanilla vegan protein powder in my vegan protein shake. Such a good combo! Also, check out my post on the Best Vegan Protein Powder– an in-depth review of 15 vegan protein powder brands with my exact recipe for my customized, everyday vegan protein shake. 🙂
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Category: Breakfast, Drinks, Snacks
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 smoothie
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 0g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 11g, Net Carbs: 5g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
© beamingbaker.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images or recipe without my permission. Please do not republish this recipe, instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links, which allow me to make a small commission for my referral, at no additional cost to you.