Best Healthy Zucchini Muffins: soft & moist zucchini muffins that are buttery and perfectly sweet. The best zucchini muffin recipe—healthy, gluten free, no refined sugar, delicious!
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)*
- 1 cup almond meal
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground golden flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups grated zucchini
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place muffin liners into a 12-cup muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Thoroughly press and fold in zucchini and walnuts, until zucchini is very well incorporated (about 30 seconds)—lightly smash the zucchini into the batter. The batter will be very, very thick—do not add additional liquids to thin out the batter.
- Using a large scoop, scoop and drop batter evenly into the muffin pan. I use this ice cream scoop to create beautiful domed tops. If not using a scoop, use a rubber spatula or spoon to smooth batter into an even layer with a domed top. To make fewer, high-domed top muffins, fill cups all the way with a slight mound on top; to make a larger quantity of medium-domed top muffins, fill cups ¾ of the way. Optionally, top with walnuts.
- Bake for 24-32 minutes, depending on how many muffins are made. Mine took 28 minutes for 8 total tall-domed top muffins. It will bake on the lower end for 12 muffins. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness—once it comes out clean with just a few moist bits, it’s done.
- Allow muffins to cool in the muffin pan, placed on a cooling rack for about 30 minutes. Then lift muffins out of the pan, transferring directly onto the cooling rack. Allow to finish cooling for 30-60 minutes. Enjoy!
No Almond Meal? Try this recipe –> Healthy Moist Vegan Zucchini Muffins w/ Chocolate Chips
Healthy Zucchini & Muffins Recipes
A Note on Homemade Oat Flour: *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to blend the flour until very fine and sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create less than ideal results. Store until needed, then measure the amount required for the recipe.
Storing Notes: Store in an airtight container for up to 2-5 days in the refrigerator, or in a cool, dark environment. Best the first day.
To Freeze: Store in an airtight container or bag, in the freezer for up to 1-2 months. Allow to thaw for about 30 minutes at room temperature before enjoying. Or, heat in the microwave in 10-second increments until just warm.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American