Spiced apple bread with lightly moist crumb and a touch of sweetness brought out by your favorite fall spices and delicious walnuts. The gentle sweetness of apples combined with the comforting feeling of fall for the best apple cinnamon bread!
- 2 cups all purpose flour or oat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar, brown sugar or cane sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ eggs of choice or flax eggs (see instructions in Notes)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 ¼ cups grated apples (about 1 medium apple and 1 small apple) – I used gala and envy apples
- ¾ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Then, line an 8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside for later.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla and almond extract. Whisk until well mixed.
- Pour dry ingredients over the wet ingredients. Whisk as long as you can, switching to a rubber spatula when needed. Use the rubber spatula to fold the batter until well incorporated, with almost no flour bits remaining. The dough will be very thick.
- Using the rubber spatula, thoroughly fold and mash grated apples into batter, until apples are very well incorporated (about 1 full minute). Your goal is to get the juices of the apples to release and incorporate into the dough. The dough will be very, very thick—do not add additional liquids to thin out the dough. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer the dough into the prepared baking pan. Smooth into an even layer, with a mound down the center—into the shape of a loaf. The dough will bake up very much how it looks raw, so this is your chance to smooth it into a beautiful loaf.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes. Mine took 60 minutes. Bread is done once you can stick a toothpick into the highest part and it comes out clean.
- Leaving the bread in the pan, set the loaf on a cooling rack to cool for 10 minutes. Then, pinching the parchment paper or foil, carefully lift the bread and paper onto a cooling rack. Cool for about 1.5 hours. Make sure to cool completely before slicing for clean slices. Slice and enjoy!
How to Make 1 1/2 flax eggs: Combine 4 ½ TEAspoons ground flaxseed and ¼ cup + 1 ½ TEAspoons water, whisk together, and set for 15 mins.
Storing Instructions: Store completely cooled loaf in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-3 days. Since this bread is made with fresh apples, it’ll be best on the first day.
To Freeze: Cool bread completely, then store in a freezer-friendly container in the freezer for 1-2 months. Allow to thaw at room temperature for about 15 minutes before enjoying.
How to make Vegan: Use vegan butter or coconut oil and flax eggs.
How to make Gluten Free: Use gluten free oat flour and keep everything else the same.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American