Vegan Banana Blueberry Muffins (GF): moist ‘n healthy vegan muffins bursting with bananas & blueberries! The ultimate vegan breakfast muffins—Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free.
- 3 medium, very ripe bananas (1 cup mashed)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oat flour – if using homemade oat flour, make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)*
- ¾ cup almond meal**
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and dried
Optional for topping
- 2–3 tablespoons blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Add peeled bananas to a large mixing bowl. Using a sturdy whisk or pastry cutter, mash bananas until smooth. Add the oil, sugar, flax egg, and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add oat flour, almond meal**, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Fold in blueberries.
- Using a large scoop, scoop and drop batter evenly into muffin cups. I use this ice cream scoop for easy scooping and a beautiful round top***. If not using the scoop, smooth batter into an even layer, with a domed top (rise) in the center. Optional: press blueberries on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 16-22 minutes. Mine took 18 minutes. Allow to cool on a cooling rack for about 1 hour. Lift out and enjoy!
Healthy Vegan Breakfast Muffins
- Adapted from my One Bowl Gluten Free Vegan Banana Nut Bread and my Moist Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.
- *If using homemade oat flour, make sure to sift the flour to remove coarse bits of oats that could create grainy muffins.
- **To substitute almond meal with oat flour: use a TOTAL of 1 ¾ cups + 2 tablespoons gluten free oat flour. Muffins will be just a touch drier and not as fluffy, but still good!
- ***I like to use this ice cream scoop to scoop and drop one scoop into one muffin cup. This scoop helps control the batter, prevent messes and gives you a nice rounded top. Tip: after dropping scoops, lightly tap the pan to even out the batter.
- Storage notes: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Freezing instructions: These muffins freeze well. Store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1-2 months. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes before enjoying. Or, heat in 20-second increments in the microwave until warm.
- Nutrition Information: is an estimate based on the best-selling, most common brands per ingredient. Also, it’s estimated based on 12 servings per recipe, made without optional topping.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack, Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 54mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: healthy vegan muffins, vegan breakfast muffins, vegan banana blueberry muffins, refined sugar free muffins, gluten free breakfast